Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Dark Knight Review: The One You've Been Dreaming Of

expr:id='"post-" + data:post.id' >

Within a week of its release, I had seen “The Dark Knight” (TDK) twice. I've been sitting around thinking to myself, "what do I have to say about this movie? Do I want to discuss my feelings after the first time? How about my reflection on the movie now that I've seen it twice?" Well, the problem was that everyone and their mother had already said anything I could possibly say in review of the movie. So I decided that, in addition to a couple of brief comments to let you know where I stand as a fan, I would also like to dabble in the field of the future of the Batman franchise. Where has the film left Gotham, the viewer, and the Batman (and other characters) both onscreen and off? All that, and more, after the jump.

Note: This article is directed at those dedicated masses that have already seen the film. Spoilers follow. You’ve been warned.

The Review

Honestly, I was slightly disappointed after my first viewing, and for all of the common reasons you can read at any sci-fi, movie, or Batman site. The story was not as novel as “Batman Begins” (with the origin and development of Batman). It was also LONG as hell with many people calling it "a movie and a half." Yes, that's more for your money, but TDK went from having a crisp ending at about an hour and forty-five minutes in to forcing the second half of the movie to an abrupt halt. The other thing that left a bad taste in my mouth walking away for the first time was the amount of preaching from virtually every character. From Batman to Rachel to Harvey to Alfred to The Joker himself, everyone spent a great deal of their lines discussing what was right, why it was right, how justice should be served, if it should be served at all, and what being a hero means. I mean, I get the whole "Justice vs. Chaos" dichotomy going on. Batman brings chaos to the “order” that was mob-ruled Gotham, but then he and Harvey try to impose justice to replace the chaos, but The Joker does all he can to disturb that and bring Harvey to see that Chaos is the only fair way. I get the hero vs. "something more" distinction for Batman, that he wears the mask so that he can make the tough decision for the greater good. I get that truth needs to be buried and lines need to be crossed sometimes. All I ask is that the director show some faith in the viewer to draw those conclusions on his own.

Then I saw it again. And it was more amazing to me somehow. I appreciated the subtleties of Heath Ledger's Joker. Yes, I liked his performance the first time, but it wasn't anything more than what I had expected from reading the reviews and seeing the trailers. He fully exceeded my expectations when I gave him the attention to detail he deserved. I can't even describe it, but go see it and ask yourself this: has anyone in the history of the role ever made it look so plausible? He is totally believable, totally real, and totally demented. Without his perfect character the movie falls apart. Which brings me to my next point: the movie was realistic and believable. It’s about heroes and villains, sure, but ones that don’t have powers. It’s about people that are willing to put it all on the line for what they believe, and anyone in this world could do that with the proper motivation and dedication. TDK is not for kids or even teens. It's adult, and it's perfect that way. Nolan panders to no audience for ticket sales (i.e. groin shots or sexual innuendos for the teen audience) and still rakes in more cash each successive day than any other film in history. Finally, I love that this movie lets the hero fall. He is so much darker than not only any Batman has ever been, but any popular, cinematic superhero in general. Hospitals blow up. People get hurt. Terror reigns. Rachel and Harvey, the two noblest characters in the film, DIE. Batman becomes the enemy of both sides, fighting hostages, henchman, and the SWAT team all at once in a scene towards the end. As Harvey promised earlier in the movie: "you either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.” And as Gordon explains at the movie’s close, Batman is "the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now.” (Note: Yes, these are instances of the preaching that I mentioned earlier, but it isn’t like the rest of the dialogue concerning those lofty issues. These are sweet lines that, in retrospect, are useful at summarizing key motifs in the movie. What I’m trying to say is BLOW ME!) It was a great movie. It had action but also depth, heroes but also Heath, victory but also utter defeat.

So that was my review. I'm sorry if you've read something similar recently, but I promise you mine was bigger... I mean better. Now for the fun. What lies ahead for the Batman franchise? My guess is not much. Why? Well that's why you're still reading, isn't it? Sorry to be the burst your bubble, but you'll have to wait until next time for the other half of this post. Don't want to go spoiling your supper now, do I?

As the old cartoons used to say, "Same BatTime, same BatChannel!"

No comments: