Sunday, August 10, 2008

Weekly Prescriptions: 8-10

expr:id='"post-" + data:post.id' >


Hey folks. Sorry I'm late this week. Happy Olympic Games to everyone! Summer is on its way out, but not before we get a chance to own Red China in the medal count in Beijing. I mean, those bastards are doing their darnedest to steal the count by dominating events where absurd amounts of government-sponsored time and steroids go a long way, but I think the good guys will come out on top (though not by too much). Anyway, here's a few sites to get you from Olympic game to Olympic game.

1. NBC Olympics Online
For those of you that are like me and cannot get enough of the Olympics, here is a site that let's you watch anything you want anytime you want (live when possible). After the opening ceremony aired on Friday night, I found this site and spent a long time watching judo. I don't really get the cool factor behind the wrist grabbing and shirt un-doing, but it was somehow fun to watch. On a different note, all the accessibility that NBC is offering online is really refreshing. Makes me think the internet may last forever.

2. Yahoo! Olympics
Being a medal count junkie, Yahoo!'s main page for Olympics coverage does just that. The other thing it offers, which I have not been able to find elsewhere, is a constantly updated list of recently concluded events and their respective medal winners. I love knowing the name of the guy that came in second in 10 meter air pistol, and this site grants me that knowledge.

3. Chemistry Exam
I'm guessing you may have seen this already, or at least seen things like it, but it's funny. If you haven't seen it yet, you're welcome. It reminds me of my days in eighth grade. I used to dominate the teacher and her tests so hard that, upon finishing early, I would throw my ruler at my classmates. I would also spend time sneaking to the chalkboard to draw a hexagon to represent my alter ego, the Hexagon Bandit. Intelligent jerks are the very best kind.

4. Ledger's Joker Concepts
I think it's pretty clear that the guys around BIBTTP are pretty big Batman fans (at least the re-imagined version with Christian Bale). Well, I dug up this site and found it awesome for a good "what if?" What if they had gone ahead with these early concepts for Heath Ledger as the Joker? I think it would have made the movie less realistic (which I proclaimed was one of its best features). Also, I think it may have taken some of the Heath out of the role. That face looks plastic and stiff, and his facial expressions were amazing. Either way, it's an interesting thing to contemplate.

5. 7 High Profile Basketball Criminal Cases
As a guy that has never had talent in basketball outside of dribbling right-handed and lowering my shoulder as I plow towards the basket, I hate basketball and the people that play it. So of course, when I stumbled upon a page that listed seven of its greatest screw-ups of recent times, I had to let you share my enjoyment. From Kobe to Jayson Williams, from Glen Rice to AI, enjoy their failures with me. And then be jealous of them once again five minutes later.

6. Lobsters
And here is this week's throw away pick. Something absurd for you to chew on. Enjoy your lives for the next seven days, and I'll see you in a week.

The Doctor.

No comments: