Saturday, March 8, 2008

When Will the iPhone be myPhone?

expr:id='"post-" + data:post.id' >

Hey people. I noticed recently that my first few posts have been about television, and I don't want to be classified as just a TV blogger. I'm not just "that guy." I'm also a nerd. A huge freakin' nerd. My nerding interests include but are not limited to: science fiction, computer software, technology, and gadgets. After reading about the iPhone 2.0 Software Development Kit (SDK) and having the opportunity to mess around with it in the mall the other day, I've decided I need one.

blogsquatch touched on the AIM client that iPhone will now be utilizing, and like he said, it will make texting obsolete in the future. You cannot compete with free instant messaging by offering text messaging at a price. There's just no way it can last. In addition to this, though, the iPhone SDK offers the consumer many other things to make their peen pop.

First of all, Apple has simply overhauled the OS on the iPhone, teaming up with some other developers and enhancing the keyboard, the multitouch feature, and just the OS in general. I read about the details over at Gizmodo, and let's just say the iPhone will now run more smoothly. Next, the iPhone will now be able to sync with a Mac, giving uses the ability to debug, to drag-and-drop to and from the iPhone, to remotely access the iPhone over the internet, and to run an iPhone simulator to make sure your code and apps are all working properly. Finally, and this is the one that gets me going (and by that I mean gives me a full-out hard-on), Apple is "excited about creating a vibrant third party developer community with
potentially thousands of native applications for iPhone and iPod touch." That final piece of the SDK has vast implications.

It means that now people can add tons of new applications and features to the iPhone without relying on Apple to develop them all individually. These applications will be left to the developer to price, so now there will potentially be unlimited freeware for you to spice up your iPhone. That in and of itself is humongous, but there's one more facet to this that gets me very very excited about the iPhone.

Apple wants to have a superior product. They don't want to nickel and dime you by developing must-have software and charging you for it (like iPod games or something). Instead, Apple saw a desire to have the iPhone do more, obviously aware of "jailbreak" iPhones being hacked and enhanced. Well, instead of making this process exclusive to those with the daring and know-how, Apple decided to allow everyone to get in on it, and undertook a massive project to allow them to do so. This shows Apple's intentions, and boy are they good. They want a superior product, and they want you to buy it for that reason alone. That is a product and a company I want to invest in. The iPhone SDK has convinced me beyond a shadow of a doubt that I need an iPhone and that it is well worth getting one. Thanks, Steve.

Rx
iPhone: used topically, as needed, starting immediately

Doctor Dozer

No comments: